Monday, July 9, 2007

Alone

This blog is not about my friends it is about other people that come up and talk to you. They love to ask about you and your family. But what do they want to hear and talk about?? Help me because I think these casual friends are probably tired of hearing about my husband and children!!!
I wondering if I am alone in think this. Sometimes I stand in a crowd of people and realize that I am totally alone. I don't know what to say to people. I try to think of things to say and most times it comes to the only things I ever talk about -My husband and My children. I know that people get tired of hearing about them. So is this low people skills or is something else wrong? I mean I don't want to bore people to death. I want to have something to talk about! I want to talk about something more then what happen to Hannah on TV today. Or how the best friend on Suite Life looks like Nat's brother. Or how to make a fast lunch that both my 1 and 4 year old will eat. So does anyone have any suggestions to help me carry out a normal adult conversation. Without having to bore people to death talking about my family which they really don't much care about. They where just trying to be nice and asking about the family. Then I torture them by telling them the same information that they hear five times before.
I would feel better if anyone else seems to have a similar problem. Then I wouldn't feel like such an odd ball. I do thinks different. I mess them up and then I learn from my mistakes. Just watch my blog and I will make another funny mistake soon. I not trying to complain. I just want to find some way to over come this problem.
I was going to add how I meet my husband but I write that later. Most of you know the story, but for everyone else I write it out later.

7 friends pats:

Meems said...

O.K. So you have discovered one of the downsides of being a stay at home mom. While a huge blessing nothing comes without a price.

Their is nothing wrong with talking about your children and/or husband. None of us are bored with your conversation.

My preference has been to do one of the following things in order to feel stimulated. You could take a class online, get involved with the community bible study(they have childcare), read a good book, take up another hobby.

In other words come up with something to do outside of the kids that you are interested in.

This helps me anyways. I hope it helps you.

beautiful chaos said...

This is where I have to come out and say: I am so glad to have a person like you in my life. I love it that there are other people who can find nothing better or more stimulating to talk about than their children or families. The goings-on in our everyday lives...
That IS what you are here for right this very minute - and if your thoughts didn't circle around those things, you would not be nearly as funny or imteresting to me!! I enjoy that about you, E! Don't change a thing.

kdp said...

Dearest E,
You are such a blessing to so many people including myself. You are a mom and a wife. That is your life. That is all of our lives. The people who love you want to hear about your life and that includes your husband and your kids. If those casual people don't want to hear about your life then they shouldn't ask.

That's what I love about the blogs so much is that we are real on the blogs. We talk about what matters most, our families.

Of all the mom's on our blog list, some that work outside the home and some that work inside the home, the majority of our blogs are about our children and husbands. I agree with Angela, don't change a thing.

I also agree with Melissa, pick up a book, get a hobby.

Love ya,
girl

La said...

If all else fails, just direct the conversation to the other person. Most people just like to talk about themselves anyway. =)

A's Rich Life said...

Hey E!
Being a stay at home mom is the most important, rewarding job that you'll ever have!! And there's a reason you don't get paid for it - because it's PRICELESS! :) Make a list of all the things you do. You're a chef, housekeeper, taxi driver, activity director, nurse, etc. You get the idea, the list goes on and on and on... And it's certainly more interesting than an old office job that deals with rudeness & anxiety. I love to hear about your family :)

no_iffer said...

Okay, I am a working mom and I still talk about my son alllllll the time! Have you read my blogs? There are like five million of just his random conversations. And here's the thing: there is a common bond between moms all over the world when it comes to kids. We just love to talk about our kids and our families and how we survive the day. I love hearing your stories because it is something we share. So, here's what I think. Whether you are working, at home, have three kids or 13, we will talk about them and that is just as it should be. I love hanging with you Esther and chatting. Remember how we used to talk for hours after our college classes? That was fun, huh? We need to do that more!

By the way, My son also watches a fair amount of Hannah Montana and The Suite life of Zach and Cody so I will know exactly what you are talking about if you want to share!
Love ya!

Meems said...

I just wish I could watch the suite life. Maybe this is why I am commenting again. I need cable.

Love ya girl. To bad today didn't work out for you. I know it would have been so fun going to all of those stores.